Friday, September 17, 2010

How did I start? One day at a time!

Today is June 7. I have made such an amazing turnaround in my lifestyle after one month of being in Michelle's program that I decided I should write about it in hopes of giving her a great testimonial some day.  That's HOW EXCITED I am!

One month ago I was anxiously looking forward to my first session with Michelle Joy of Hummingbird Hearts.  I couldn't wait to hear ALL she had to say about the changes I should make right away!  I was ready to clear out my cupboards and fridge of process foods and junk to replace it with all healthy food!  May 5 came - session 1 and well, to my surprise - changing every eating habit in one day is NOT Michelle's method.   And thank goodness for that. We all know why, end of sentence.

Michelle's program is personalized, which is why a one-on-one session IS effective. She asks a lot of questions specific to MY eating and exercise habits and starts from there. During our session she introduced a new way to eat some of the foods I already love and she helped me set some realistic short term and long term goals.

In the days and weeks following my first session, I made a simple healthier change to my breakfast and I've tried a brand new vegetable! Michelle will even supply a recipe if you ask. I learned that raw almonds are more beneficial than processed almonds and they taste the same. Since I am an oatmeal eater, adding raw almonds was an easy addition! Who doesn't need a little extra protein in the morning?

My second session was June 1. Again, another effective one-on-one meeting with more encouraging health counseling. There's something unique about the way Michelle explains things that help you to understand 'eating' in a different light! I was grasping the fact that certain foods make me feel a certain way and being drowsy or sad can be related to what I am feeding my body.  I was being challenged and anxious to tally the results. I was learning which fruit made me more satisfied and less jittery for instance. I have low blood sugar and eating too many carbs in the morning leaves me feeling very shaky within 2 hours. In my case, blueberries were not as satisfying for me as strawberries were.  That's just me, and that's why a personalized program is helping me to find a comfort zone.

One of the short term goals I gave myself was.... to skip dessert ONE day! Just let one day go by without a cookie or a piece of candy or an iced mocha frappe.  That was a goal I set out to achieve within my first 30 days.  Easy right?   Yesterday I realized I had gone one week without dessert. One entire week!  Never dawned on me. I was too busy sampling new fruits and vegetables and benefitting from a 'sweet tip' / great advice from MIchelle that would help curb the sugar cravings.  What's more exciting is that I have lost 5 pounds already in the last 2 weeks! 

More later...   Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment