Friday, September 17, 2010

How did I decrease my sugar cravings?

Understanding why sweets are so so very bad for you: I learned this on Dr. Oz or Rachel Ray I can't remember which one, but a glazed donut has 12 teaspoons of sugar! How many people feed their kids donuts for breakfast or for an after school snack? Yikes!  Why would you encourage hyperness in your children, let alone feed them something their bodies can't process.  Ya know what? If I hadn't already learned from Michelle the negative factors about white sugar, I would have stopped after seeing that TV show!  10 years ago I eliminated adding sugar to my coffee because I drank so much coffee. I had no idea that eating 1 donut was worse than drinking 10 cups of coffee! (I used 1 tsp./cup) If I had known, I'm sure I would have stopped eating donuts at the same time.

Let me tell you how I went from eating dessert once or twice a day - every day for 45 years - to eating dessert once or twice a month! Wow.  It's NOT GOOD for you! Forget the pounds - forget the decrease in energy, it just isn't good for you! There is NOTHING in sugar that your body wants or needs. So why put it in there?    

Here's how my nutritionist challenged me:
  • She asked me to consider going one day without dessert and then had me pay attention to how I felt the next day. 
  • She educated me on sweet fruits and veggies. For instance: If I add some peas to my dinner or my salad, my body would not crave additional sweets later. And she was right, that advice was great and it helped. She suggested I add some fresh or frozen fruit to my oatmeal in the morning. This helped curb the craving for sweets during the day. 
I took baby steps and that's what I encourage everyone else to do because you won't be forever freaked out that you cannot have any more sweets ever. You'll do it slowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment